What’s Happening in June
Discovery Place Kids Rockingham
Take the plunge! The Museum is staying cool in the hot months of summer with Ocean Explorers, a month of activities about ocean life and its importance. Investigate sharks, octopuses and other sea creatures and create ocean animals as you become a voyager of the sea.
On weekdays at 11:15 a.m. and 2:15 p.m., join us for fun, themed activities that will take you to the depths of the sea.
- Tuesdays & Thursdays - Ocean Olympics: Can you jump like a shark to breach for food, or hunt for prey in the murky deep water? Young ocean explorers will see if they have the skills it takes to survive under the sea.
- Wednesdays & Fridays - Deep Sea Dive: Did you know that 70% of the Earth’s surface is covered by oceans? We’ll dive through the different zones of the ocean and discover the creatures that inhabit its waters.
What’s fun to do on the weekends with kids?
Weekends are filled with special activities where fun and learning go hand in hand. Join us on Saturdays at 11:15 a.m. and 2:15 p.m. or Sundays at 2:15 p.m. for hands-on fun that is free with Museum admission.
- June 2 & 3 - The Outrageous Octopus: Did you know that octopuses are known for their problem-solving skills? Or that they have a foot attached to their head? We'll explore this outrageous eight-legged creature.
- June 9 & 10 - Operation: Clean the Beach: 97% of the world’s water is in the oceans, and it’s our job to make sure we help keep them clean. Little conservationists will explore the ways we can protect our oceans and all of the creatures within.
- June 16 & 17 - Seashell Science: Little scientists will get hands-on with our collection of shells to discover the different marine animals that use shells for protection.
- June 23 & 24 - Shark Attack: Have you ever wondered what the inside of a shark looks like? Get up close and personal as we dissect a dogfish shark.
- June 30 & July 1 - Creative Ocean Animals: Dive in this weekend as we use paint, glue and recyclables to make fun ocean animals.