Discovery Place Kids Huntersville
Who are the people in your neighborhood? Help your child learn about the people in our community that keep us safe, healthy and connected, all while enjoying hands-on activities, story times, shows and more! This November, bring your family to Discovery Place Kids-Huntersville for a look at our community heroes. November's programming is provided with support from the Cannon School.
On weekdays, stop by the Town Hall Stage at 11:15 a.m. daily (plus an extra show at 1:45 p.m. on Tuesdays) for story times and hands-on activities that celebrate the people that keep us healthy.
- Tuesdays & Thursdays- Farmers: How do your favorite foods get to the market? Meat, eggs, fruits, vegetables and grains are all on your table thanks to our farmers. Come to the Town Hall Stage to hear Farmer Brown Goes Round and Round by Teri Sloat. Then visit the Town Market to explore where all the food we eat comes from.
- Wednesdays & Fridays- Doctors: Doctors help keep us healthy. We will learn a little bit about what doctors do and how to make sure we stay strong, happy and healthy!
Don’t forget the weekends! There are special activities throughout November that help kids understand the importance of community helpers. Join us at 11:15 a.m. and 1:45 p.m. on Saturdays and at 1:45 p.m. on Sundays for the following special events.
- November 4 – Construction Worker: Construction workers help us build and fix our homes, roads and important buildings. Work with us at the Town Hall Stage as we learn how to follow plans and make structures of our own.
- November 10- Police: No two fingerprints are the same. We’re pretending to be police officers and gathering evidence to solve crimes. Meet at the Town Hall Stage to hear the story Police Officers on Patrol by Kersten Hamilton. After the story, head to I CAN Create for some forensic fun.
- November 17- Firefighters: It takes a special person to put out fires. Come hear Fire Fighters to the Rescue by Kersten Hamilton, then stop, drop and roll to the Fire Truck for some special training.
- November 18- Dentists: How many teeth do you have? Do you know how to keep them healthy? Join us at the Town Hall Stage to hear The Tooth Book by Dr. Seuss and then we’ll go to I CAN Create for some fun activities that will make you want to show your healthy smile.
- November 24 - Bakers: Who doesn’t love a good piece of cake or a cookie? Today, we will be celebrating bakers and all the yummy treats they make. Be sure to join us as we mix, measure and whip up some treats of our own!
- November 25 - Veterinarians: Do you know what it takes to keep our furry friends healthy? This weekend, we’re reading Sally Goes to the Vet by Stephen Huneck. Then head to I CAN Create to make a special animal themed craft.
Special Events for Kids
November is a month of holidays and kid-size special events. Mark your calendars to bring the family to experience these special Museum days.
- November 3 – I CAN Be Anything Fair: What do you want to be when you grow up? Come in to the Museum between 10:00 a.m. and noon to visit with some real live community helpers and talk to them about their careers.
- November 11 – Veteran’s Day: We are celebrating our amazing veterans and all they have done to keep us safe. We’ll start at the Town Hall stage to enjoy the story, then head to I CAN Create to make some patriotic crafts
- November 21 – Thanksgiving: At Discovery Place Kids, we are very thankful for all our guests! Meet us at the Town Hall Stage at 1:00 p.m. and then join us after the story in I CAN Create for some fun activities.