Learn all About the Laws of Motion this September
Get moving this September to Discovery Place Kids-Rockingham where we will be studying Forces and Motion all month long. This month, we're soaring in Newton's Laws of Motion and learning all about the forces behind them. Little scientists will investigate why and how things move.
On weekdays at 11:15 a.m. and 2:15 p.m., join us for physics-themed activities all month long at the Sandhills Stage.
- Tuesdays & Thursdays - Swirling Vortex: How can you make invisible air visible? All you need is a trashcan, a little theatrical smoke and some imagination. Join us as we create our very own vortex generator.
Wednesdays & Fridays - Bernoulli Bag: How many breaths does it take to inflate an eight-foot windbag? 50? 100? We're betting we can do it in one! Little scientists will investigate the secret behind Bernoulli's Principle.
Is there physics fun on the weekends?
Yes! Join us on Saturdays at 11:15 a.m. and 2:15 p.m. or Sundays at 2:15 p.m. for hands-on fun that is free with Museum admission.
- September 1 & 2 - Magnetic Force: Little scientists will investigate what makes magnets repel and attract through this hands-on art project at the Lab.
September 8 & 9 - Accelerating the Masses: What's Newton's Second Law of Motion? We'll be exploring force, mass and acceleration at Sandhills Stage to see how to make things go, go, go!
September 15 & 16 - Law of Laziness: Newton's First Law of Motion, or the Law of Laziness, says that an object at rest will stay at rest, unless of course something really cool happens to it. Discover what egg-citing experiment we're cooking up using this law at the Sandhills Stage.
September 22 & 23 - Up, Up and Away: What happens when we mix two chemicals together in a small space? Little guests will blow the lid off Newton's Third Law of Motion at the Sandhills Stage.
- September 29 & 30 - Gravity Pulls: Did you know there is an invisible force that keeps us here on Earth? Gravitate your way to the Green Room as we mix science and art to create a gravity-inspired masterpiece.
Not done celebrating the forces in your life? Neither are we! Check out our two holidays this month that really celebrate a special force that can keep you grounded.
- September 9 - Grandparents' Day: Let's give a special thanks to our grandparents. Help us take the time to make our grandparents feel extra special by stopping by the Studio at 1:00 p.m. to create a beautiful card to tell them just how much they're loved!
- September 26 - Johnny Appleseed Day: Johnny Appleseed was an American folk hero who planted apple trees all across the United States. Celebrate his life by learning about his accomplishments and taste testing different types of apples at the Sandhills Stage. **Note, all apples aided in removal from tree with the help of our friend Gravity!