Summer Fun at Discovery Place Kids
Discovery Place Kids-Huntersville is the place to go for summer activities that beat the heat. In July, the Museum will be dedicated to Ocean Explorers. Come aboard this month as we sail, dive, swim and explore our oceans! We will learn about amazing aquatic animals and how to keep our oceans clean.
On weekdays at 11:15 a.m. and 1:45 p.m., stop by the Town Hall Stage for special story times and activities that will take a dive into the oceans.
- Tuesdays & Thursdays- Coral Reefs: Coral may look like a plant, but they are actually tiny animals. Coral reefs are home to almost a quarter of all known marine animals, making it one of the most diverse places on this planet. Join us as we read the book Coral Reefs by Steve Parker and learn about the animals that call this place home.
- Wednesdays & Fridays- Save our Oceans: Over 70% of the Earth is water, so it’s very important that we keep it clean. We will be reading Tammy Turtle: A Tale of Saving Sea Turtles as we explore ways to keep our ocean’s clean and free of pollution.
Can we go exploring with kids on the weekends?
Yes! Escape the summer sun and dive into the oceans when you visit the Museum on weekends in July. Activities below start at the Town Hall Stage with a special story at 11:15 a.m. and 1:45 p.m. on Saturdays and at 1:45 p.m. on Sundays.
- July 7 & 8- Mermaids and Pirates: Come sail the seven seas with us as we discover the truths surrounding the ocean’s most famous legends—mermaids and pirates! Join us at the Town Hall Stage to adventure through Shiver Me Letters by June Sobel, then we’ll go on our own hunt to find the mermaid’s treasure.
- July 14- Sea and Touch: Let’s explore the wonderful world of the ocean floor. First we will read In the Sea at the Town Hall Stage, then we will meet and learn about the animal friends Discovery Place Science has brought to us!
- July 15- Tons of Tentacles: Did you know that jellyfish don’t have brains? Or that octopus are some of the smartest creatures on the Earth? Dive down with us today we learn about jellyfish, squid and octopus and read the story My Very Own Octopus by Bernard Most at the Town Hall Stage.
- July 21 & 22- Sharks: Celebrate Shark Awareness Day to learn more about these misunderstood creatures. Swim over to the Town Hall Stage as we read Hungry, Hungry Shark! By Joanna Cole, then come to I CAN Create to take part in some fin-tastic crafts and activities!
- July 28 & 29- Sea Mammals: Not all mammals live on land. Join our pod as we read the story Whale is Stuck at the Town Hall Stage, then leap over to I CAN Create to take part in a whale of a craft.
What’s happening on the holidays?
There are three special holidays in July, and we’ve got things planned for each one. Visit the Museum on July 4 for Independence Day, July 17 for National Ice Cream Day or July 31 for International Friendship Day and enjoy stories, crafts, activities and more!